The ‘Truck Friendly’ program is the brainchild of Ken Wilson. Ken is an active caravanner. We are also pleased to say he is an ACC member. The program is designed to help all drivers understand how they can be friendly to the huge number of truck drivers on our highways so that we all get home safely. In July 2019 the Australian Caravan Club and Ken Wilson signed a Memorandum Of Understanding to work together to enhance and promote the program within our Club. ACC members wishing to participate in the program may apply for a ‘Truck Friendly’ sticker subject to the following;
The stickers are designed to show drivers following that you :-
- Have a UHF radio fitted and turned on. No UHF – NO Sticker.
- Have read and understand the driving guides on the Truck Friendly website www.truckfriendly.com.au .To locate these guides, go to the website navigation bar at the top of the Truck Friendly page and select ‘MORE’. You will find many of these guides have also been summarised in the Truck Friendly Program flyer which is also available for download.
- You want to help other drivers and are friendly and cooperative.
Unless you tick all the above you do not qualify for a sticker. The large green stickers should be placed in the upper rear, driver’s side, of your RV or caravan. By placing all stickers in approximately the same location it makes them much easier to recognise from a distance.
Check out Ken’s Facebook page Truck Friendly for more tips and updates on the Program.
The initial batch of stickers will be made available to branch representatives at the Warrnambool National Muster. Following the National Muster, Branch members who meet the above guidelines and wish to participate may approach their branch committee representative for a Truck Friendly sticker. At this time the stickers are provided free and there is no cost to participate in the program. At a future date arrangements will be made for non-branch members to also obtain these stickers.
How to apply the (large) Truck Friendly sticker.
The following advice is provided to assist members when they go about applying the large (300mm) Truck Friendly sticker to the back of their RV :-
- When the stickers were provided to Branch Reps at the National Muster they were presented in large flat envelopes and not folded or rolled. As with any stickers they need to be stored flat and face down to help prevent rolling and damage. All stickers will separate and roll up at the edges over time if stored face up. Once the sticker has rolled edges and separation it will continue to not adhere to the surface over time. Do not store too long face up to avoid damage.
- The surface should be cleaned of all oxidation, road grime, solvents, cleaning / polishing wax and any other coating prior to applying the sticker. Aluminium caravans will have an oxidation coating over time. This should be standard procedure when applying any sticker.
- When applying to a ripple or non-flat surface it is recommended that you remove only a small section of the backing paper at a time and start from the bottom working your way up ensuring you start with the sticker level.
- Rub from the middle out as the sticker is applied or backwards and forwards across the sticker with a soft cloth with a firm pressure to help remove any air bubbles and removing the backing paper as the sticker is applied. Best adhesion is once off and not by removing and re-sticking, so take your time and get it right first time is best.
- The stickers should be applied to the upper drivers side of the rear of the caravan to help ensure all are in an approx. similar position for easy recognition for a distance by a following vehicle.